Sunday, October 22, 2006
The Buffalo, NY October Storm

I don't know if any of you have seen it on the News but where I live Mother Nature pounded us with 22 inches of snow starting in the afternoon of Thursday, October 12- early morning Friday the 13th.
I posted a video of it below when it started. This is what I saw later that day. I am laughing right now because Lauren wanted to go out and play in the snow when she saw it and I told her it wouldn't stick this early in the year......it did!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
All through the night we heard cracking and our electricity was going in and out. My husband went out around 11:30 pm because the sky was lighting up green, blue and red. Later we found out that was the transmitters blowing up. Plus we realized that cracking was the branches of trees breaking off. One of the trees in the back yard had fallen over completely! My van was near a big tree and hje wanted ot make sure it wouldnt fall on my van.
Here is what he saw:
It's earlier than it ever has snowed so we still had our grill out, firepit, sand and water table, Umbrella tables (thank God we had brought in the umbrellas already) chairs, and hanging plants. Those branches you see there are all down oin the ground now.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Around 1 am I got up because I was freezing...the power was out...no heat.

Here is what we finally woke up to that Friday morning. That's my van. There is 22 inches of snow!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The backyard:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is hte little girl downstairs taking a break after making a trail down the driveway:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Our mailboxes after the snow melted a little and the kids shoveled them out. The snow plows knocked them over:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

These pictures are nothing compared to the damage I have seen driving aorund.


Our yard now:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That's only about and 1/8th of the branches that need to be brought up from the backyard. All you see driving down the street are branches piled high in front of their houses.
We were lucky we got our power back on by Saturday evening so only 2 days out. There still are some (11 days later) that still are without power. The weight of the wet snow on the electric lines brought many power lines down. Many have trees through their roofs and windows.
My mil and fil have a lot of things to replace in their home. The transmitter on their house sent a surge into hteir house before the power went off. Anything that was plugged in fried..........
We are very lucky that many places around the US sent many people to come help with all this! Thank you!!!





4 Comments:
Blogger Bare had this to say:

Wow! Ya'll got a TON of snow! In a way, I'd love to have that much snow, but in another month or so! Glad all of that's gone now :0)

 

Blogger Courtney had this to say:

OMG!!!! I heard about it, but seeing the pictures is totally different. We had an ice storm a few years back that caused a lot of damage like that. We were without power for about 5 days... and I was so so sick!

I'm glad things are coming back together. Good luck!

 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

I know what you mean! My parent's house was pretty bad as was my Grandmother's house! My parents lost power from Friday early EARLY AM to Saturday afternoon-- My grams until around 3PM Sunday. Some of my friends just got their power back today (Oct. 23)-- 10 days! Whoa!

 

Blogger Kerri had this to say:

YIKES... have to say again that all that snow is just totally INSANE.

 

Post a Comment

<< back to Ladiebug Lane

Ladiebug Lane


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Our Daily struggles trying to conceive with PCOS and things life throws our way. WANTED: Family seeks new member. Must be small, noisy, and agreeable to 9 months in confined space. All applicants inquire within uterus ASAP!!

  • What is PCOS?
  • My Fertility Chart
  • Ladiebug's Journey
  • The Kellys
  • One Day At A Time
  • Divorced and Sassy
  • No Bowl Of Cherries
  • Simply Thrive
  • Simply Jamie
  • Life As I know It
  • Them VS. Me
  • Home Organization Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




    Yahoo! Avatars