Tuesday, August 01, 2006
PCOS and Insulin Resistance

PCOS is associated with Insulin Resistance which affects the body's glucose levels resulting in Chronic Fatigue and Insulin Resistance, a pre-curser of Diabetes.
I know that I have someof the symptoms of the above....there are some days that if I don't follow a specific plan (Thank you Kerri!) I seriously get light headed and have blurred vision. I mentioned this to my doctor and my tests all came back normal last year so she believes it's just from the PCOS. I will have a physical with my regualar doctor next month so she suggested getting my sugar levels tested then. My wonderful interent friend Christy suggested Byetta. Her OBGYN put her on it to help her (along with metformin) Insulin Resistance that came along with PCOS. So I will be mentioning that to my primary when I see him next month. Until then I think I may try what I found below to get me by.

Here's an article I found on using reg cinnamon to reduce insulin levels, so I might try it & see if it works. I love the taste of cinnamon already!
Spoonful of cinnamon may help insulin go into cellsBy Suzanne RostlerNEW YORK, Aug 24 (Reuters Health) - People with type 2 diabetes may improve their ability to regulate their blood sugar by adding a little spice to their life, researchers report.In preliminary findings, cinnamon helped fat cells recognize and respond to insulin, the hormone that removes excess glucose (sugar) from the blood and deposits it into cells. In a test tube and in animal studies, the spice appeared to increase glucose metabolism by about 20 times, according to Dr. Richard A. Anderson, lead scientist at the Beltsville, Maryland-based Human Nutrition Research Center, a branch of the US Department of Agriculture."This is a very good means of improving blood sugar with minimal means and minimal cost," he told Reuters Health. "This could help millions and millions of people."The majority of the more than 16 million Americans who suffer from diabetes have type 2 diabetes--a disease in which the cells fail to recognize insulin. As a result, the amount of sugar in the blood remains high, leading to fatigue and blurred vision. Over the long term, excess blood glucose can increase the risk of heart attack, kidney failure and blindness.Diabetes is the seventh-leading cause of death in the US, according to the American Diabetes Association.Anderson explained that his mostly unpublished research shows that a compound in cinnamon--methylhydroxy chalcone polymer (MHCP)--makes fat cells more responsive to insulin by activating the enzyme that causes insulin to bind to cells and inhibiting the enzyme that blocks this process."What you have is a highly effective system," Anderson said.While it is too soon to recommend the spice as a regular treatment for type 2 diabetes, Anderson said patients could try adding 1/4 - 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to their food."The worst that will happen is it won't do any good and the best is that it will help dramatically," he stated.Clinical trials using a cinnamon extract on humans are due to begin in 6 months, Anderson noted.Type 2 diabetes is most often diagnosed in adults over 45 who are overweight. An increasing number of children and teenagers around the world are developing the disease due to increasing rates of obesity and sedentary lifestyles. More information on the disease is available at the American Diabetes Association Web site
http://www.diabetes.org./





4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Thnak you for posting this information. I like to be informed. Good luck to you.

 

Blogger Courtney had this to say:

I tried the cinnimon thing. I couldn't keep up with remembering to put it on stuff. The metformin really helped me. I feel like it was to credit for beging able to get pregnant the first time.

Good luck!

 

Blogger Bare had this to say:

You know, I heard about cinnamon, I might have to give some of that a try! And do, mention the Byetta-, it's literally been a lifesaver for me *hugs*

 

Blogger Ladiebug had this to say:

I definatly will! I probably will have to wait for my regular doctor to get that.

 

Post a Comment

<< back to Ladiebug Lane

Ladiebug Lane


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Our Daily struggles trying to conceive with PCOS and things life throws our way. WANTED: Family seeks new member. Must be small, noisy, and agreeable to 9 months in confined space. All applicants inquire within uterus ASAP!!

  • What is PCOS?
  • My Fertility Chart
  • Ladiebug's Journey
  • The Kellys
  • One Day At A Time
  • Divorced and Sassy
  • No Bowl Of Cherries
  • Simply Thrive
  • Simply Jamie
  • Life As I know It
  • Them VS. Me
  • Home Organization Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




    Yahoo! Avatars